God gives each of us gifts so we can build up his church. As Paul writes in Romans 12: 4-8: “Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others let him give generously, if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully”
At UMCSO, our many members and constituents participate according to their gifts on the following committees:
- Administrative Council: Receives requests for approval of spending from various program committees
- Vision Table: With a call to ‘Go and make disciples’, the Vision Table looks to the future and plans programs that will help us spread the Good News of Christ.
- Board of Trustees: Nine members who take care of the physical needs of the buildings and grounds at UMCSO
- Staff/Parish Relations: Act as a liaison between our Pastor and the members of the church
- Parsonage: Sees to the needs of our Pastor’s home
- Missions and Outreach: Plans and administers participation in various outreach programs at home and around the world
- Membership: Helps to ensure all members and constituents are being cared for by our church through prayer, visitation, cards and phone calls. Also maintains membership records for UMCSO.
- Lay Leadership Committee: Proposes names for future committee members once their three year term is completed
- Education: Plans all education programs for children and youth of the church and oversees adult education opportunities
- Worship: Responsible for all aspects of Worship including Greeters, Ushers, Acolytes, Communion Elements, Flowers, Music and Audio-Visual.
- Finance: Responsible for all financial aspects of the church.